Chain Reaction Swap – More Details
A few questions have come in regarding the swap, and here are your answers:
What Size Chain?
Standard sized ball chain (#3) is optimal. This is approximately 2.4 mm. Slightly larger chain is fine, as long as the connectors will secure the smaller chain.
Fine ball chain, like often used for lighter weight jewelry, is not preferred.
We will have chain and connectors available at the Retreat, but if you want to get your swap items ready in advance, you can use the guidelines above.
What type of Chain?
Chain should be a jewelry-safe material, like steel or brass.
Why the Restriction on Imagery?
Our guild members come from a variety of backgrounds and beliefs; out of respect we decided to exclude religious or political imagery in the swap. You are welcome, however, to produce such items and include them in your finished piece, or swap them privately with other members.
We’re taking a hint from this swap featured on Polymer Clay Daily in 2017.
- Create a dozen items from polymer clay* with embedded ball chain
- Total length of finished piece cannot exceed 3 inches and there must be at least 1 inch of chain on either side of the polymer item.
- You must include one ball chain connector with your piece.
- Please attach a tag with your name to each item.
- Place all your items in a single lunch bag and give them to the Swapmonster by noon on Monday, September 2.
- The bags will be distributed by the end of the day, filled with swap goodies!
We will feature the finished items in an upcoming blog post.
*Please refrain from using religious or political imagery.