So, you’re just getting started with polymer clay and you don’t know what you need? Here’s what our experts recommend:
Basic Clay Tool Kit
- Pasta machine dedicated to clay use (including clamp and crank)
- 1-2 additional C clamps
- 1″ thick board or catalog that fits underneath pasta machine
- Unscented baby wipes
- Deli wrap or patty paper
- Work surface such as ceramic tile, tempered glass square, formica covered shelf, non-reactive plastic placemat, etc.
- Cutting blades (stiff, flex, and craft knife such as Xacto)
- Acrylic rod or brayer
- Needle tool
- Thin knitting needles (double-ended) or 3/32″ mandrel
That’s great you say, but what about clay…how much and in what colors?
Starter Kit : Clay
- Basic colors such as red, yellow, blue, true purple (4 oz. each)
- White and Black to lighten/darken colors (8 oz. each)
- Pearl, Gold, or Silver metallic (2 oz each)
As far as brands go, everyone has their own preference and it really depends on what type of clay work you’ll be doing. Not sure? Come to our next meeting and ask the Guild!